NB STore URL issue

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Hi,

We're using the NB Store provider v 1.3.0 with DNN 6.02 and NBSTore 2.3.2.

WE had a catalog wiht 4 levels of category/sub-category and URL's were being correctly rewritten with the /catid/<num> being rewritten wiht the category SEO name.

However, we have now removed one level of subcategory - so they are now only 3 deep, adn the URL's are no longer being rewritten.

We have uninstanlled and reinstalled both the Open URL Rewrite and provider wihtout success.

Any idea why this may be happening and how we can resolve it?

Cheers,

Ian
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Hi,

Is the site accessible over the Internet ?
So i can have a look at it.

Can you try a Tools, Clear cache.

Regards,
Sacha
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Hi Sacha,

Its accessible at the following URL.

http://www.trunk.bms.dev.peachdigital.net/

Will try the claer cahce option.

Cheers,

ian
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Hi Sacha,

Tried the Tools > Clear Cache - made no difference.

A bit puxxled by the fact that this was working fine when we first installed the module and porvider - and only broke when we chnaged the caetgory/sub-category structure.

Cheers,

Ian
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Hi,


Can you try with the new nb store provider which need openurlrewriter 1.2

Attention : install openurlrewriter 1.2 before the new provider.

Otherwise can you check /portals/_default/logs for errors releated to openurlrewriter.

Or send me the log files at sachatrauwaen [at] yahoo.com

So i will have a look

Regards,
Sacha
May 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM
hi Sacha,

We've now upgraded the site to DNN 7.2.2, and openurlrewriter 1.2 and new nbstore provider, but have the same issue. There's n othing in the error ologs currently.

I could give you host access if that would help.

Cheers,

Ian
May 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Hi Sacha,

Just wondering if you have any further advice on this?

Ian
Coordinator
May 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Hi,

If you send me host access to sachatrauwaen [at] yahoo.com i will look at it.

Regards,
Sacha
May 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Hi Sacha,

Thanks - I have set that up.

Just loking at the catalog structure and I was wondering if I may have stumbled upon the issue. We have atop levle category called products, which has no subcategories. All the product categories are also at top level and then split down. I think this is a bit odd, but makes me wonder if that could be the issue.

Cheers,

Ian
Coordinator
May 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Hi,

I think your issue will be fixed in version 1.4.1 of nb store provider.

Tell me if it resolve the problem for you.

Regards,
Sacha
May 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Hi Sacha,

I've installed version 1.4.1 of the porvider, cleared the cache and rules - but we're still seeing the same issue. Is there anythign else we whoudl do?

Cheers,

Ian
Coordinator
May 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Hi,

I have take a look.

I think may be you have a page named products and also a category named products which create confusing in the rewriter.

If yes, try to change the url of the page and do a clear cache.

Otherwise if you send me a host access to sachatrauwaen [at] yahoo.com , i will have a look.

Regards,
Sacha
Coordinator
May 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Hi,

I looked on your site.

The problem comes from the nb_strore productlist module have a default category "products" which is empty.

And the provider only crete rewrite rules for products and categories on that category.
This because you can have one page for each category.

I don't understand from where comes the text on your products page ?
But there in reality no product on this page initially.

A solution will be to create a other page with a productlist module and default category = root.
And tell the category module to show product on that page.

Can this be a solution for you ?

Regards,
Sacha
Sep 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Hi Sacha,

Thansk to your feedback above, we managed to resolve this issue.

However, we have one further issue which is that the products do not appear on the sitemap. Having checked a number of threads on here, I believe nbstore is configured correctly, so SEO names are present and the products module is flagged as inexable. We have also updated the module to the latest version.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ian
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Hi,

I have checked your configuration.

But the issue is that in the product_list module settings.

In NB_Store_ProductList Settings tab, Other settings, Index Module was not checked.

I have check it.

Now the url cache have sitemap true for product urls.

Now you have to clear the sitemap, but sitemap page give an error, i don't know wy.

I have delete sitemap.xml in sitemap folder of current portal directory

Because the allproduct page is a hidden page, you have say in the sitemap settings to include hidden pages.

Because you have no access to it, i add the setting by sql

insert into portalsettings (PortalID, SettingName, SettingValue, CreatedByUser, CreatedOnDate, LastModifiedByUserID, LastModifiedOnDate, CultureCode)
values (3, 'SitemapIncludeHidden', 'True', 1, GetDate(), 1, GetDate(), 'en-US')

Now the site map is complete.

Regards,
Sacha
Sep 15, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Hi Sacah,

That's awesome - thanks .

The problem wiht the sitemap page appears to be due to the recent DNN upgarde - I'm in the porcess of sorting that out on the production site.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

ian