This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

OpenURL Sitemap Provider Revisit Frequency

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:35 AM
I've missed something and can't find it on Google either. I want to increase the sitemap <changefreq>daily</changefreq> to <changefreq>weekly</changefreq>

Where in the world can I do this?
Feb 17, 2014 at 7:47 AM
Hi,

All the settings come from Admin, Search Engine SiteMap.
But, changefreq is hardcoded in the SitemapProvider.

If you are a programer, you can create a new class that inherit from
Satrabel.SitemapProviders.OpenUrlRewriterSitemapProvider
and ovrride
public override List<SitemapUrl> GetUrls(int portalId, PortalSettings ps, string version)
and change the changefreq in all the returned urls.

After that you have to change the sitemap provider in the web.config to use the yours.

Regards,
Sacha
Marked as answer by sachatrauwaen on 2/20/2014 at 9:41 AM
Feb 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Upon research it seems as though if I do the work (thanks for the direction) that Google doesn't regard the change frequency. According to their site,

"Our crawl process is algorithmic; computer programs determine how often we should crawl each site. From the moment we discover a new article, we'll keep re-crawling it looking for changes. Since we've noticed that most changes to articles occur just after they're published, we revisit articles most frequently in the first day after we've found them. After that, we visit them less often."

In other words; the more we update and add content, the more we get crawled. We're getting crawled a bit too much - a few times a day - and we have a huge number of portals - so the server frequently is 60% busy with google. We (the users) notice this with a 1-3 second delay in page loading.

https://support.google.com/news/publisher/answer/40392?hl=en

Thanks for the feedback.